Sunday, August 21, 2011

Traditions Old and New

Virginia Tech has a lot of history and the traditions are by far the Hokie community's best feature. After talking to college graduates who did not attend a school like VT, I realize so many people missed out on a truly amazing college experience. Blacksburg is special, football is awesome and honestly being a Hokie is simply an unexplainable experience. I love a few traditions more than others and I'll write about those at another time, but here are a few of my favorite new and semi-old traditions.

One of my favorites and the newest of traditions is the Freshman Class, Hokie-Hi Picnic, held every Sunday before classes start each fall was this afternoon in Lane Stadium. The Freshmen all get to walk through the tunnel and touch the Hokie Stone at the end of the tunnel and enter onto Worsham Field. "For those who have passed, for those to come, reach for excellence," is written above the stone, a quote that will have 10 times more meaning when they graduate.

My Hokie-Hi Picnic was 6 years ago, and being a HighTech I got to attend each and every year. Seeing the new Freshmen coming in each year starry eyed, nervous and excited, but mostly excited to see the football team introduced was always an exciting time. I wish the class of 2015 the best of luck and am happy to see this tradition is beginning to gain popularity.

My other favorite and probably one of the least known traditions is Skipper. If you know Skipper, thanks for paying attention at football games, if you don't know Skipper he's the cannon that is fired at the beginning of each game and every time the Hokies score a touchdown. Built by two cadets Alton Harper, Jr. and Homer Hickam (the boy from October Sky, yea cool huh? He was a Hokie), Skipper, named after President Kennedy following his assassination, remains to be an icon of Virginia Tech and I hope more people will root for the Skipper in the 2011 Football season!

No comments:

Post a Comment