Thursday, August 4, 2011

thank you media for ruining my day...

Today, Thursday, August 4, 2011 reports and alerts sounded at 9:09 a.m. that a gunman was seen on campus at Virginia Tech. Due to the VT Alerts system (which I still receive) and to be honest the viral affects of social media, my friends and I were aware of the incident pretty quickly.

Immediately the thoughts in the minds of all alumni are directed to the most terrible memory...the shootings on 4/16. This incident may turn out to be a false alarm, but I praise Virginia Tech and Blacksburg police for taking the incident so seriously.

I do not, however, praise the media. This incident is breaking news for Blacksburg and Roanoke local media, it has absolutely no need to be highlighted in the National Media circuit. Screw you bloodsucking media jokes and your excitement over this excuse to blast the excruciating footage from the shootings all over again.

Over 4 years ago, I sat with my roommates watching the footage and all I could do was cry. Then when it was time to return to class and the hundreds of cameras and media trucks were still around, all I could do was be angry. I studied journalism because it was something I grew up interested in and respecting. But that experience and the exploitation that continues to occur whenever something bad related to Virginia Tech makes the news simply swore me away from journalism all together.

I pray that everyone on campus is safe and thank you to the police officers for their dedicated service.

No comments:

Post a Comment